Reduced Disparities in Birth Rates Among Teens Aged 15–19 Years

– Download Full Report –

Author(s): The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

  • Lisa Romero, DrPH
  • Karen Pazol, PhD
  • Lee Warner, PhD
  • Shanna Cox, MSPH
  • Charlan Kroelinger, PhD
  • Ghenet Besera, MPH
  • Anna Brittain, MHS
  • Taleria R. Fuller, PhD
  • Emilia Koumans, MD
  • Wanda Barfield, MD

Published: Apr. 29, 2016 in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)

Report Intro/Brief:
“From 2006 to 2014, the birth rate for teens aged 15–19 years declined 41% overall (from 41.1 to 24.2 per 1,000 females). The greatest decline was for Hispanics (51%), followed by non-Hispanic blacks (blacks) (44%), and non-Hispanic whites (whites) (35%). From 2006–2007 to 2013–2014, the overall birth rate for teens declined significantly in every state, with declines ranging from 13% in North Dakota to 48% in Arizona; the birth rate ratio also declined for black teens compared with white teens in 28 states and for Hispanic teens compared with white teens in 37 states. County-level teen birth rates for 2013–2014 ranged from 3.1 to 119.0 per 1,000 females aged 15–19 years; unemployment was higher, and education attainment and family income were lower in counties with higher teen birth rates.”


Youth Today is the only independent, internationally distributed digital media publication that is read by thousands of professionals in the youth service field.

Youth Today adheres to high-quality journalistic standards, providing readers with professional news coverage dedicated to examining a wide spectrum of complex issues in the youth services industry from legislation to community-based youth work.


Our organization retains full authority over editorial content to protect the best journalistic and business interests of our organization. We maintain a firewall between news coverage decisions and sources of all revenue.


We are committed to transparency in every aspect of funding our organization. Donors may be quoted, mentioned or featured in our stories. Our news judgments are made independently – not based on or influenced by donors. Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their products, services or opinions…(read more)

Recent Comments




Kennesaw State University Mountain Logo & Ceneter for Sustainable Journalism Logo
LOGO Institute for Nonprofit News 3 turquoise boxes stacked in "J" shape

Copyright © 2018 Youth Today and MVP Themes --- Published by Center for Sustainable Journalism,
Kennesaw State University, 1200 Chastain Blvd. Suite 310, Kennesaw GA 30144

To Top