James Irvine Foundation Leadership Awards
For: Extraordinary leaders who are advancing innovative and effective solutions to significant state issues.
By: The James Irvine Foundation.
Winner: Sam Cobbs, First Place for Youth, Oakland, Calif.
Contact: Tamara Murray, (415) 901-0111, ext. 241, http://www.firstplaceforyouth.org.
National Innovation Award
For: Provider organizations, coalitions, or government agencies that have developed and implemented an innovative practice in either management or process improvement within the previous three years.
By: Network for the Improvement of Addiction Treatment (NIATx).
Winner: Spectrum Youth and Family Services, Burlington, Vt.
Youth Advocates of the Year
For: Top youth advocates who have fought to promote tobacco prevention legislation, to reduce tobacco marketing to kids in their communities and to stop their peers from using tobacco.
By: Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
• National winner: Kyle Picha, 18, Prairie du Chien, Wis.
• Group winner: Shanicee Dillon, Calitta Jones, Brian Bell, Jeremiah Carter; Ramsey Tobacco Coalition, St. Paul, Minn.
• International winner: Livia Clandorf, 15, East Chatham, N.Y.
• Eastern Region winner: Dianna Baker, 17, Berlin, Pa.
• Western Region winner: Courtney Viernes-Silva, 17, Ewabeach, Hawaii.
• Southern Region winner: Zachary Morris, 18, Charlton Heights, W.Va.
• Central Region winner: Caitlin Baker, 16, Norman, Okla.
Contact: Ashley Rockhold, (202) 296-5469, http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/campaign/yayas/2010/index.shtml.
President’s Environmental Youth Awards
For: Projects developed by young individuals, school classes (K-12), summer camps, and youth organizations that promote environmental stewardship.
By: Environmental Protection Agency.
• Project T.G.I.F.: Turn Grease into Fuel, Westerly Innovations Network/Westerly Middle School, Westerly, R.I.
• Steps to a More Sustainable School, Joshua Rubin, Syosset, N.Y.
• Illick’s Mill Project, Illick’s Mill Partnership for Environmental Education, Bethlehem, Pa.
• Oak Hall School Biodiesel Project, Oak Hall School, Gainesville, Fla.
• Recycle Because You Care, Dana Gattone, Angel Loizzo and Maggie O’Brien, Addison, Ill.
• The Vision is Green, Sarah Jo Lambert, Lubbock, Texas.
• Warning about Warming, Pavane Gorrepati, Bettendorf, Iowa.
• Conserving the Hollowed Ground, Bigfork High School Cave Club, Bigfork, Mont.
• Project Jatropha, Adarsha Shivakumar, Apoorva Rangan and Callie Roberts, Pleasant Hill, Calif., and Martinez, Calif.
• No More Trash Talk: Let’s Clean Up Our Act, EcoLogical, Homer, Alaska.