This category of the OST Hub Language & Literacy topic covers reading and writing activities during Out-of-School Time (OST). Within the Reading & Writing in the OST Setting category are sections that provide information and materials you can use to introduce new reading/writing activities in your OST program or help further develop and enhance your current program.
For researchers and policymakers, this category provides information that provides a broader understanding of the larger issues surrounding reading and writing. These materials will help contextualize language and literacy practices and programs in the OST setting.
This topic category of the OST Hub is divided into the following sections. Each section provides free materials and resources to download on a range of literacy topics and approaches to incorporating reading and writing in OST programs.
- Articles & Research contains key and current research on the topic of providing reading and writing in OST.
- Resources provides program materials that have been generated by the field, such as curricula, lesson plans and handouts.
- Program Examples includes case studies and video clips of actual OST programs providing reading and writing activities.
- Professional Development provides professional learning opportunities through webinars and other offerings.
- OST Field Notes provides photo essays, blogs, and other types of writing by practitioners about their experiences providing reading/writing for children and youth.