Democrats have been named as chairs of the five subcommittees of the House Education and Labor Committee. The committee deals with a variety of youth issues, such as early childhood learning, mentoring and financial aid for college.
Both the No Child Left Behind (the Elementary and Secondary Education Act) and the Workforce Investment Act are due for reauthorization later this year. A broad range of service programs, proposed in the Serve America Act introduced in the Senate, will likely come before the committee. And it is considering a measure that would require the president to call a White House Conference on Children and Youth in 2010.
The subcommittee heads are:
* Rep. Dale Kildee (D-Mich.), Chair, Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education
* Rep. Robert Andrews (D-N.J.), Chair, Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions
* Rep. Lynn C. Woolsey (D-Calif.), Chair, Subcommittee on Workforce Protections
* Rep. Rubén Hinojosa (D-Texas), Chair, Subcommittee on Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness
* Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), Chair, Subcommittee on Healthy Families and Communities.
The other Democratic members of the House Committee on Education and Labor are: George Miller, Chairman (Calif.), Donald M. Payne (N.J.), Robert C. Scott (Va.), John F. Tierney (Mass.), Dennis J. Kucinich (Ohio), David Wu (Ore.), Rush D. Holt (N.J.), Susan A. Davis (Calif.), Raúl M. Grijalva (Ariz.), Timothy H. Bishop (N.Y.), Joe Sestak (Penn.), Dave Loebsack (Iowa), Mazie Hirono (Hawaii), Jason Altmire (Penn.), Phil Hare (Ill.), Yvette Clarke (N.Y.), Joe Courtney (Conn.), Carol Shea-Porter (N.H.), Pedro Pierluisi (Puerto Rico), Marcia Fudge (Ohio), Paul Tonko (N.Y.), Jared Polis (Colo.), Gergorio Sablan (Northern Mariana Islands) and Dina Titus (Nev.).
The Republican members are: Howard P. "Buck" McKeon, Ranking Member (Calif.), Thomas E. Petri (Wis.), Peter Hoekstra (Mich.), Michael N. Castle (Del.), Mark E. Souder (Ind.), Vernon J. Ehlers (Mich.), Judy Biggert (Ill.), Todd Russell Platts (Penn.), Joe Wilson (S.C.), John Kline (Minn.), Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Wash.), Tom Price (Ga.), Rob Bishop (Utah), Brett Guthrie (Ky,), Bill Cassidy (La.), Tom McClintock (Calif.), Duncan D. Hunter (Calif.), Phil Roe (Tenn.).
For a list of all of the members subcommittees, go to http://edlabor.house.gov/about/members/