Subject: Youth Development, Education, Technology Education, STEM
Deadline: Oct. 1, 2016
"The Best Buy Foundation seeks nonprofit partners that create hands-on learning opportunities for underserved teens to engage in learning, experimenting, and interacting with the latest technologies to build 21st century skills. Our goal is to provide youth with access to new technologies and help them become interested and fluent in digital learning while developing skills to help better prepare them for future education and career success. Programs should help teens build 21st century skills by utilizing cutting-edge technology such as computers, digital cameras, video cameras, and professional software in a wide range of areas. Best Buy is searching for national organizations with a demonstrated track record for building skill proficiency in technology through out-of-school time programs. The primary responsibilities of the nonprofit organization include:
- Working with schools and other community-based organizations to builg awareness of the program to drive teen participation
- Ensuring access to youth from underserved communities.
- Enabling participation of Best Buy employees to serve as volunteers.
- Supporting teen outreach, learning & curriculum development (in area of expertise) for Best Buy’s signature programs - Geek Squad Academy and Best Buy Teen Tech Centers (if appropriate).
- Developing financial and community support to help sustain the program beyond the grant funding from Best Buy.”
Funder: The Best Buy Foundation
Eligibility: "Best Buy invites out-of-school time programs that have a fundamental commitment to youth, ages 13-18, to apply for funding. Minimum eligibility criteria include:
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with existing out-of-school time program or programming with a proven track record of serving youth ages 13-18.
- Program located within a nonprofit organization targeting teens in underserved communities or available to underserved teen-serving nonprofits.
- Program must operate within 25 miles of a Best Buy store or other Best Buy center of operations.
- Willingness to participate in meetings with other Best Buy national partners and signature programs.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion."
Amount: $100,000 - $200,000