Archives: 2014 & Earlier

Sparks: How Parents Can Help Ignite the Hidden Strengths of Teenagers

Peter L. Benson
Jossey-Bass/Wiley
235 pages. $24.95.

Building on Search Institute’s 40 Developmental Assets, Benson, the institute’s CEO, introduces “sparks” – shorthand for “follow your bliss” – that illuminate teenagers’ pathways to their life purpose.

In recent surveys, when adolescents were asked to cite the passions, talents and interests that express who they are, nearly 70 percent identified such sparks, from music and nature to sports and helping others. Yet that leaves 30 percent – an estimated 12 million teenagers nationwide – who don’t believe they have a spark to help guide their futures.

Young people’s sparks need nurturing by significant adults, starting with parents, but going well beyond them as well. Search Institute’s research shows that youth whose sparks are supported by several adults are more healthy and socially competent, have higher grades and better school attendance, and are more optimistic and less likely to be depressed than those without such sparks.

In careful steps filled with quizzes, self-assessments, checklists and true stories, this engaging guide empowers adults to help teens discover their sparks and bring them to life. Benson assigns supporting roles to non-parental “spark champions,” such as coaches, counselors, mentors, teachers, neighbors, aunts, uncles, church members and club leaders. “A spark is about developing yourself from the inside out,” Benson writes. This new aspect of youth development is an exciting and worthy outgrowth of the developmental assets approach. (800) 225-5945, http://www.josseybass.com, http://www.ignitesparks.com.

Comments

Youth Today is the only independent, internationally distributed digital media publication that is read by thousands of professionals in the youth service field.

Youth Today adheres to high-quality journalistic standards, providing readers with professional news coverage dedicated to examining a wide spectrum of complex issues in the youth services industry from legislation to community-based youth work.

EDITORIAL INDEPENDENCE

Our organization retains full authority over editorial content to protect the best journalistic and business interests of our organization. We maintain a firewall between news coverage decisions and sources of all revenue.

DONORS & DONOR TRANSPARENCY

We are committed to transparency in every aspect of funding our organization. Donors may be quoted, mentioned or featured in our stories. Our news judgments are made independently – not based on or influenced by donors. Accepting financial support does not mean we endorse donors or their products, services or opinions…(read more)

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Search

Kennesaw State University Mountain Logo & Ceneter for Sustainable Journalism Logo
LOGO Institute for Nonprofit News 3 turquoise boxes stacked in "J" shape

Copyright © 2018 Youth Today and MVP Themes --- Published by Center for Sustainable Journalism,
Kennesaw State University, 1200 Chastain Blvd. Suite 310, Kennesaw GA 30144

To Top