The instructional and program design component is the core of any OST program, and critical to higher quality. While there is no one curriculum used by out-of-school time programs, program design and curricula are increasingly used, and a focus on content is becoming an area of interest.
Program design, a slightly different concept, focuses on ways that the program is organized, segmented, and scheduled. It also includes the aspect of student choice.
The Program Quality category of Instructional & Program Design is divided into the following sections. Each section provides free materials and resources to download on a range of topics and approaches to instructional and program design in OST programs.
- Articles & Research contains key and current research on the topic of program development and design.
- Resources provides program materials that have been generated by the field, such as lesson plans, curricula, and planning templates.
- Program Examples includes case studies and video clips of actual OST programs that demonstrate ways that programs create programs and curricula.
- Professional Development provides professional learning opportunities through webinars and other offerings.
- OST Field Notes provides photo essays, blogs, and other types of writing by practitioners about their experiences in creating offerings for children and youth.